Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Updated resources outside WVC
Thanks to university libraries, Ukrainian institutes, and journalists around the world, we are able to provide you with this very selective list of English-language resources to help you understand the conflict from a historical perspective and to keep you up-to-date on the crisis as it unfolds. Thanks to Dr. Ernest Zitser of Duke University Libraries for sharing his content and jump starting this resource guide.
Russia's War on Ukraine
Harvard University Ukraine Research Institute put together this page listing FAQs, personal experiences of the war, news roundups and much more.
10 Things Everyone Should Know About Ukraine
This is a series of ten short films produced by the Ukrainian Institute of London that bring to life ten Ukrainian stories including that of the serf who became an artist and a poet; a writer who rewrote European classics from a woman’s point of view, a theatre director who thought that revolutionary art could change the world, a count who chose to become a priest, an author who wrote more than 300 poems in his prison cell, and film directors who gave a voice to the silenced.
Russia Ukraine War by the Numbers: Live Tracker
Aljazeera's live tracker with maps, graphs and statistics.
English Language Ukrainian Newspapers:
At this time, independent journalism from Russia is difficult to find. Many of their outlets have been shut down. See this release from the International Federation of Journalists.
WVC Library Resources
WVC Books on Ukraine
This link will bring you into OneSearch where you will see a short list of books we have on Ukraine. Login with your SSO to borrow the books.
Russia / Ukraine Foreign Relations
This link will result in a list of articles on the subject written 2014 - present in relevancy order. You can edit the search using the refine tools on the left navigation bar. Login to OneSearch using your SSO to access the articles.
Events (Upcoming and Past)
Follow these Ukraine-based journalists, correspondents and Ukraine / Russia experts on Twitter:
- Terrell Jermain Starr, non-resident Senior Fellow at the Atlantic Council’s Eurasia Center and senior reporter at the The Root, an English-language online magazine of African-American culture.
- Olga Tokariuk, Kyiv-based independent journalist and non-resident Fellow at the Center for European Policy Analysis (CEPA).
- Christopher Miller, an American retired United States Army Special Forces colonel and former acting US Secretary of Defense.
- Natalia Gumeniuk, head of Hromadske International.
, defense reporter with The Kyiv Independent
- Francis Scarr, reporter for the British Broadcasting Company.
- Neil Hauer, independent journalist in country.
- Shaun Walker, journalist for The Guardian.
- Christopher Miller, correspondent for BuzzFeedNews.
- OSINTtechnical, American blogger and freelancer at UK Defense Journal, who publishes open source imagery of fighting.
- Michael McFaul, former U.S. Ambassador to Russia; professor at Stanford.
- Masha Gessen, Russian-American author and journalist.
- Alexander Vinman, retired U.S. Army Lieutenant Colonel; former White House Security Council member