Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Administration, Faculty, and Classified Publications
West Valley College Library is proud to highlight the publications of our faculty, administration, and staff! Copies of printed publications may be retained in the West Valley College Online Library Catalog. Links to electronic full-text or publisher are provided with the citations when available. To submit your publication, fill out the Faculty, Administration, and Staff Publications/Scholarship form.
- "Examining the Labels that Mark my Ethnic Identity." Essay in The Leaning Ivory Tower: Latino Professors in American Universities, edited by Raymond V. Padilla and Rodolfo Chávez Chávez. SUNY Press, 1995. 91-100. Print. (Published under last name Cruz).
- High Literacy and Ethnic Identity: Dominican American Schooling in Transition. Boulder, Colorado: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., November 2001. Print.
- "Mapping the Use of Feature Films in Composition Classes." Essay in Cinema-(to)-Graphy: Film and Writing in Contemporary Composition Courses, edited by Ellen Bishop. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann Books, 1999. 100-115. Print. (Published under last name Cruz). Full-text available online.
- Meanderings on the Making of a Diasporic Hybrid Identity. Lanham, MD: University Press of America, Inc., December 2012. Print. Book available at WVC Library.
- "One Night on Moses Mountain." Travel Narrative in A Woman's World Again, edited by Marybeth Bond. CA: Traveler's Tales, 2007. Print.
- "Recordando las enseñanzas de mi abuelita." Essay in Abuelas hispanas: desde la memoria y el recuerdo, edited by Marina Llorente and Ilia Casanova-Marengo. Madrid, Spain: Ediciones Torremozas, May 2012. Print. Full-text available online.
- "Teaching Spidertown in the Blended Classroom" in Multiethnic American Literatures: Essays for Teaching Context and Culture, edited by Helane Adams Androne. Jefferson, NC: MacFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers, 2014. Print. Full-text available online.
- "Two Easy Ways to Practice Global Citizenship in the College Classroom." Essay in special issue, "Going Global: Contemporary International Voices and Visions," of North Dakota Quarterly 78.2 & 3 (2013): 57-62. Print. Link to article.
- "You Take Twirled Bodies and Turn Them into Two." Story in No Regrets: It's Time to Move On. Ed Pamela Gifford. San Bernadino, CA: Silly Tree Anthology, 2014. 65-71. Print. Full-text available online.
- "Using Silence to Promote Spiritual Growth in the Teaching of Composition and Literature." Article in Teaching with Joy: Ideas for the New Millennium, edited by Sharon Shelton-Colangelo and Mimi Duvall. Colorado: Rowman & Littlefield, Inc., 2006. Print. Book available at WVC Library.
- Stevenson, Christina L. (2015) "The Lesbian and the Room: Proust's Invention of Difference," Studies in 20th & 21st Century Literature: Vol. 39: Iss. 1, Article 3. https://doi.org/10.4148/2334-4415.1816. Link to article.
- Stevenson, Christina. "Here Was One Room, There Another": The Room, Authorship, and Feminine Desire in A Room of One's Own and Mrs. Dalloway." Pacific Coast Philology, vol. 49 no. 1, 2014, p. 112-132. Project MUSE muse.jhu.edu/article/542640. Link to article.
- Gould, R., Ryan, C., Wong, R. (2017). Essential Statistics: Exploring the World through Data. Boston: Pearson.
Michelle Andersen Francis
- Francis, M. A., & Simpson, M. L. (2003). Using theory, our intuitions, and a research study to enhance our students' vocabulary knowledge. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 47(1), p. 66-78.
- Francis, M. A., & Simpson, M. L. (2018). Vocabulary. In R. Flippo & T. Bean (Eds.) Handbook of college reading and study strategy research (3rd Ed). Routledge.
- Simpson, M. L., Stahl, N. A., & Francis, M. A. (2004). Reading and learning strategies: Recommendations for the 21st Century. Journal of Developmental Education, 28(2), 2-15, 32.
- Simpson, M. L., Stahl, N. A., & Francis, M. A. (2012). Reprint of reading and learning strategies: Recommendations for the Twenty-First Century. In R. Hodges, M. L. Simpson, & Stahl, N. A. (Eds.) Teaching Study Strategies in Developmental Education: Readings on Theory, Research, and Best Practice. Boston, MA: Bedford/ St. Martin's.