West Valley College Library
Our mission is to provide information services and resources to students, community members, staff and faculty, to facilitate successful learning.
Checkout Desk: 408-741-2028
Reference Desk: 408-741-2029
Summer 2015 Hours:
M-Th: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Welcome to the Library! (2:52 minutes)
A brief introduction to the library and some of our most popular services.
About this Guide
Welcome Business 51 students!
On these pages you will find information to help you with your research paper. Review the tabs above to learn how to find reputable information quickly. If you have any questions, please call the Library Reference Desk: 408-741-2029.
Gather background information on your topic
You have been given a list of suggested topics by your instructor. The first step is to read a background report on your topic to familiarize yourself with the issues and to gather important vocabulary specific to your topic. With this new vocabulary, search the book catalog(Find Books tab), Academic Search Premier (Find articles tab) and other sources for relevant material.
The following West Valley databases contain short reports on important topics in the news. Your topic may be covered. Search a keyword or phrase from your topic (i.e. "sexual harrassment"). Have your Student ID handy:
- Facts on File
- Choose "Issues & Controversies" once you are logged in.
- Read the section called "Issues: Pro & Con" on the left. Explore the different topics.
Something to think about...
Tips for Success
- When you find a good source (book, article, web page), record the title, author, and other bibliographic info (journal title, web address, etc.).
- Take notes from your sources.
- As you read, mark the parts you might like to quote in your paper.
- Keep organized. Keep a binder with copies of articles, your notes, and drafts of your outline.